Friday, July 12, 2013

Interview with Kipi (updated with photos!)


Kipi is one of the most well-known cosplayer internationally, with numerous fan-sites about her around the world. For the first time in Singapore, Kipi has appeared as a guest and as a judge for the cosplay competitions in STGCC 2011. We had a great interview with Kipi during the STGCC preview and the main event. Of course, it is not just going to be a wall of text. We have some lovely photos of Kipi-san in her various costumes~ (Oh Akemi Homura :3 ) 


 Kipi as Akemi Homura from Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Q:  When did you start cosplay ?
Kipi (via translator): I started cosplay at a age of 17, all this while cosplay is more of a pursuit, hobby kind of thing.
Q: So how long has it been since you have cosplay ?
Kipi: *in Chinese* 秘密 (well, age is a secret) *laughs*
Q: So what exactly is cosplay to you ?
Kipi: Cosplay started out as a chance to make friends with like-minded people. I enjoyed making costumes and it became a hobby. It is also a way to network with fellow cosplayers and it is very fun.
Q: In your entire cosplay experience, what has been your most difficult cosplay costume / prop ever made? How long does it take to make such difficult costumes ?
Kipi: The most difficult costume made has to be from Hatsune Miku because of the material involved in making. While I was working on the sewing machine, the needles just won’t go through easily. I broke a few needles in the process. I make costumes concurrently and I believe it is usually about a month or so for a costume.


 Kipi as Serizawa Fumino from Mayoi Neko! Overrun 
  
Q: When you started cosplay, do you have anyone or anything where you learn your makeup from and how long did you take to master making up your character ?
Kipi: It was all self-taught, when I first started my first cosplay, there weren’t much cosplay magazines around so I refer to female magazines on how to look “natural”, so I took a little here and there and I use the blushers by breaking the different pieces and blend for the color that I want to get. Cosplay makeup isn’t like a ordinary makeup and you have look good on camera, so my makeup has to be thick enough to look good on camera. It is tougher especially when I am cosplaying as a normal school girl character because it is harder to bring out the features of the character rather than being “natural-looking”
Q: How long do you plan for cosplay shoots ? Is there any expectations or storyboards you look for in a photoshoot ? Do you plan your own storyboard or do you let the photographer decide ?
Kipi: It depends on the context of a photoshoot. If it is more personal such as a photographer I know well, I will discuss with the photographer on the setup, the storyboard. However, for events where there are many people, I will appear as if I am dancing. I learn the poses from dances so the photographers will enjoy taking photos too. If you notice the photos on my blog, they are from personal photo-shoots as they are more interesting and storyboard based.
Q: Does your normal friends take photos with you frequently because you are in cosplay ?
Kipi: I do not really tell my friends that I am a cosplayer but most of my friends work in maid cafes and in the field related to cosplay so yes, I do take photos with them. There are circumstances that my normal friends do spot me in magazines sometimes but it is kinda unchallenged as they are friends. There was an instance which I recalled when a group of girls from Shanghai  spotted me in a train at Japan and I was in my normal outfit.
Q: How do usually choose the characters that you cosplay ?
Kipi: There are some people who chose to cosplay a character because they like the character but as for me, I will choose characters who are physically similar to how I look like and also closer to my personality. I am quite outspoken as far as my friends are concerned so when I am cosplaying a quiet character, my friends will go “no no no” on me.  *laughs*
Q: Is there any characters that you think you can’t cosplay with ?
Kipi: Female characters with very big boobs. I want to cosplay as these characters but I can’t. Characters with swimwear does not work out well with me as well.
Q: How about a few examples ? Will you ever try ?
Kipi: Asahina Mikuru from Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu. Each of the anime has their own fans for the characters in it, as far as cosplay is concerned, I want to make sure that they are happy with the cosplay. If I go on to cosplay as characters that are not suited for me, it will disappoint the fans of their favorite character.
Q: Asahina is a little ditzy, why not cosplay as as the main character Haruhi who is outspoken and suits your personality
Kipi: In any Japanese anime, it is not the main character that shines, sometimes some sub characters shine over the main cast. I will follow more on personality regardless of how small a sub-character may be.
Q: Is there any reason why you cosplay as Akemi Homura and not other Madoka Magica characters ?
Kipi: I was looking at characters similar to me, in a way it was kinda wrong to cosplay as Akemi Homura as she is cool and quiet which is different from my personality. I like Akemi a lot however, so I am cosplaying as her.
Q: What is the strangest and scary thing that happen to you when you cosplay ?
Kipi: Many things, I do not mind taking photos together but there are weirdos around who film the cameras from the foot and they keep shooting. In Thailand, I met my greatest fan and he was carrying a gigantic poster of me and everything he has on him has Kipi everywhere such as Tshirt, cellphone cover and more. I was wondering if he was wearing a Kipi underwear too.
The most scary thing however, was a hand-made jam I received from overseas when working in a maid cafe. When I open the box, lots of confetti blew up and right in the box was a bottle of jam. It gave me quite a shock


 Kipi as Shana from Shakugan no SHANA

Q: What kind of advice will you give to people who are looking into starting a cosplay ?
Kipi:  Are Singaporeans familiar with cosplay ? Do they buy the costumes or make their own ?
Q: It is a mix of both actually
Kipi:  Cosplay is an expensive hobby but youngsters began at a young age so how do they have the money to buy the cost 
Q: What kind of advice will you give to people who are looking into starting a cosplay ?
Kipi:  Are Singaporeans familiar with cosplay ? Do they buy the costumes or make their own ?
Q: It is a mix of both actuallymess ?
Kipi:  Cosplay is an expensive hobby but youngsters began at a young age so how do they have the money to buy the costumes ?
Q:  Some do work while some could have a well-off background
Kipi: In Japan, both rich and poor kids are into cosplay but from my experience in Thailand, I notice that cosplayers in Thailand comes from a well-off background. It can be as easy as buying a costume and taking a photo from your phone. There are no hard rules from where you should start from but why are you cosplaying and your objectives. As long you know why you are doing this, you will know how to begin.
Q: When do you plan to stop cosplaying ?
Kipi: Until I am married ?  *laughs*
Q: Must your boyfriend be a cosplayer ?
Kipi: I am extremely hypo-critical of other people’s cosplay so imagine if I get a boyfriend who is into cosplay, things will not be good. I will see myself crictising and arguing
Q: Why will you stop cosplay when you are married ?
Kipi: Cosplay is not something you can continue forever. When you reach a certain age, your physical appearance will change. However, I started cosplaying because of my love in making clothes. When people talk about cosplaying, they usually talk about making the costume, wearing the costume and taking the photos of the costume. I feel that the concept of cosplaying is about everything, it is not about wearing the costume but appreciation on a whole. So even when I reach a certain age, I will probably continue enjoying different aspects of cosplay such as making the costumes and letting someone wear it or perhaps be a photographer too.
One of the reasons that I say cosplaying has age limit is because of the physical stamina needed. Once I attempted to cosplay as Black Rock Shooter. I went on fasting for many days to lose weight and get the figure needed. I had sleepless nights to make the costume. The physical limitations are there so I will not want to suffer this when I am in middle age. I remember I had clam chowder soup during my fasting diet and after doing the Black Rock Shooter cosplay, no way am I going to do that anytime soon again.


 Akemi Homura :D

Q:  What will you be doing at if the Internet does not exist ? What will you doing in your own community to promote yourself in cosplay ?
Kipi: I will be attending cosplay events, I will do some performances in the costume but in Japan, it is rare as cosplayers will be pose as compared to overseas. I will probably join in performances to make myself known. I enjoy events out of Japan as cosplayers are more outspoken overseas and performances outside of Japan are more entertaining.
Q:  What do you think of Singapore food ? 
Kipi: I tried the chilli crab and it was very hard to use the “crab crusher” but it is very fragrant and nice.
Q: What do you think about Singapore cosplay ?
Kipi: Everyone has very nice poses just like in Japan
During the interview, Kipi-san showed us some of her sketches and doodles in her notebook, here is a photo of it: 


Q: Will you call yourself a professional cosplayer ?
Kipi: The term “professional cosplayers” was coined recently, it was only recently cosplayers received invitations to come to events and this is perhaps why I was invited here to STGCC.
In the midst of the interview, one of the interviewers gave a gift to Kipi-san. ^^ 


Q: So what are you studying  and where ? 
Kipi: I study in Wuhan, China and I major in law. I have always like history since high school and this was how I got interested in law in university.
Q:  How long have you been studying Chinese ?
Kipi: Two years, my friends from China who are into anime and manga can speak Japanese well and this inspires me to study Chinese too. I am envious that Singaporeans study both English and Chinese, I should have studied in Singapore too.
Q: I read your blog that you like to play Project Diva Arcade , any favorite song you like  ?
Kipi: I like all the songs but perhaps “Miku Miku ni Shite Ageru” and “Koi suru Vocaloid”
Q: Is there any cosplay plans you have right now ? 
Kipi: I am currently working on Megurine Luka from Vocaloid and Yurippe from Angel Beats!
Q: What is your favorite cosplay ?
Kipi: Kasumi, Black Rock Shooter and Asuka
Q: Do show us favorite poses 





very lovely costume

source : http://sgcafe.com/category/hobbyist-cafe/seiyuu-idol/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I Love All My Followers ^_^

Entry Babab.net

hatsune_miku_cursor

Singing Hatsune Miku

snow_pink

cute_anime_girl_bottom_left

cute_anime_girl_top_right

Streampad